There are two reasons for cocktails this weekend. First it is the Canada Day long weekend (hence the maple) and second it is my very first wedding anniversary (hence the champagne)!!
I am still not sure how a year flew by so quickly, but as I gear up for a much more low key party than last year, I am reminded of not only how awesome it was to marry my love, but how amazing it was to be surrounded by friends and family showering us with love and support, and yes giving up one of their precious long weekends to be with us. The memories and emotions still feel so fresh.
I hope everyone finds some time this weekend to chill with those that mean the most.
Bon long weekend!
- ¾ cups strawberries, washed and hulled
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ rye whiskey
- cava (or prosecco/champagne)
- In a medium saucepan combine strawberries, maple syrup, and rye.
- Gently heat over low to medium heat, for about 15 minutes until syrup is fragrant and a deep rosy colour. Remove from heat and allow to cool
- Add two tablespoons of syrup to each champagne flute. Top with cava and serve immediately.